Re: Backup stuff

From: <cmohan_at_iname.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:12:14 GMT

Redo log files are only used for instance recovery. While running noarchivelog,(you do cold backups) in case of a database crash, you can bring the database only up to the point in time you performed the back up. So redo log files are useless. If you are running in archivelog mode, backing up the redo logs is not required. The filled redo logs will be archived (either manually or by ARCH process) before they are reused. In this case, you may want to issue the 'alter system switch redo logfile', after you have backed up all the tablespaces.

So in either case (archivelog / noarchivelog), you donot have to backup the redo logfile!

Hope this helps,
CM