Re: SMON and coalescing

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_pandora.planet.net>
Date: 12 May 1998 18:11:44 GMT

First, PCTINCREASE must be greater than zero.

Second, SMON coalesces in file-id order, i.e., in the order the tablespaces were created. Are you sure no coalescing is happening? Have you checked the SYSTEM tablespace (as that is the first one created)?

Third, it is only awake for a certain amount of time to do this. If the fragmentation is great in a large tablespace, SMON may not have time to complete its job here. If you have a tablespace where pctincrease is greater than 0, you can force this with an ALTER SYSTEM command (see the railroad diagram in the reference manual). There is a bulletin on this available from Oracle, btw.

hth -

Regards,
jh

John Vernes (vernes.j_at_consunet.nl) wrote:
: Hello,

: I have a short question regarding coalescing of tablespaces.

: As I understand this should be done by the System Monitor (SMON) process.
: Since the SMON comes by every couple of minutes and the coalescing doesn't
: happen is there something I am overlooking??

: Greetings

: John

--

Jared Hecker	| HWA Inc. - Oracle architecture and Administration
jared_at_hwai.com	|  ** serving NYC and New Jersey **