Re: Oracle & SQL Server

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 15:12:52 GMT

On Mon, 11 May 1998 13:17:30 -0600, "Kevin D Pennock" <engserv_at_frii.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know if SQL Server 6.5 & Oracle 8 will run on the same server??
>I have a SQL Server running & have a new application that requires Oracle &
>I want to use the same server.
>
>Thanks
>Kevin Pennock
>kevinp_at_ftc1.aei.com

The simple answer to your question is "Yes". I have had both Oracle8 and SQL Server 6.5 running on the same NT server concurrently, and it does "work".

But keep in mind, you will be faced with several tuning issues for which there is no easy solution. Both Oracle & SQL Server tend to be resource intensive, and it is difficult to tune one database when you don't want to impact performance on the other database. This applies to any type of multiple-vendor database installation on a server, not just Oracle & Microsoft.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue May 12 1998 - 10:12:52 CDT