Re: How can I know my "Host:Port:Sid"

From: Mike Mountjoy <michael_at_london.virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:06:48 -0700

Hi there.

You don't say which platform you are using or which network protocol.

If I assume you are using either NT or a UNIX variant and SQL*NET v2.x then you should
have a file called tnsnames.ora located in the Oracle home of the server (on NT) or
/var/opt/oracle on a UNIX platform or Oracle home . The TNSNAMES file will tell you everything

eg

shopdb =
  (DESCRIPTION =
   (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP.virgin.net )
(PROTOCOL = TCP )
(HOST = shop.acme.virgin.net)
(PORT = 1200)

    )
   )
   (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = shopdb_1 )
    (GLOBAL_NAME = shopdb_1.world)
   )
  )

In the above host = shop.acme.virgin.net

                      sid = shopdb_1
                      port 1200

Easy isn't it .

Regrds,