Problem with trigger and package

From: <Silvia_Pirpamer_at_sonymusic.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 05:50:26 GMT

We use oracle database 7.3.4 on SUN Solaris and I have the following problem:

Table abc_xy

A Trigger before update insert row on abc_xy calls the procedure Getxy in the package pck_xy.

The package pck_xy consists of 2 procedures: Getxy(.....) and Updxy(....).
The procedure Getxy only selects data, the procedure Updxy makes an update on table abc_xy.

Every time when I modify the package and put it in the database with "create or replace package", and recompile the package with "alter package pck_xy compile" the database is in an undefined status. It seems that the table abc_xy is locked and nobody has access to it.
We have to shutdown the database.

Does someone know this problem, what is the cause and how can I avoid this?

Thanks for all replies

Silvia