Re: Definition of a optimal database ?

From: Rod Corderey <Lane_Associates_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/05/11

Marco,

there really cannot be any such thing. Its a little like saying what is an optimal car. It depends what you want to use it for.

The same with a database, unless you bring into the equation intended use, response time requirements, degrees of concurrency, necessary physical data size at a point in time, degrees of distribution, resources that can be made available for it, the database enmgine and platforms for delivery and many . many more you cannot arrive at an answer.

If you were able to arrive at a point of having defined an optimal database, I would argue that that optimality [ no such word but fits the purpose ] must be relative to a fixed requirement and hence can not be a genericly optimal database.

Just to be a real smart..se, as I have a dictionary beside me, optimum is defined as the point at which any condition is most favourable. This must lead to the inevitable question of favourable to what, and hence by the definition of that which it is favourable to, you must remove the genericism from the answer.

Which takes me back to the same point really that there cannot be any such thing.

Oh well makes a change from SQL, Forms etc.

To take your question more seriously, there are guidelines for best practice but I don't think that that should be confused with a generic optimum.

cheers

Rod Corderey
Lane Associates
Lane_Associates_at_Compuserve.com