Re: Oracle on Linux enhancement request, need your support!

From: David Fetter <dfetter_at_shell4.ba.best.com>
Date: 1998/05/11

In comp.databases.oracle.misc Neil Chandler <oracle_at_tchp2.tcamuk.stratus.com> wrote:

> Money - if you have the money, you buy an operating system for the
> support.

People who want to buy support for Linux can hire one of the many professional outfits. In my experience, they tend to get things resolved faster and better than any of the commercial OS's support contracts. Cheaper, too.

> Responsibility - When the CEO comes up to me and says "Neil, why is
> the system not working. Why can't I get the [blah] figures? Why
> can't I access [blurgh]?

Plaintext: "When something gets fubared, I want to be able to point a finger to cover my assets."

Covering yourself is a legitimate concern, and there are several ways to approach the problem. One way is finger-pointing, but wouldn't you rather give the CEO a solution than an excuse?

Here are two scenarios for your consideration:

The Whiner:
"Ms. Gigabucks, it's not my fault. It's those guys at Sun, no, at Oracle, no, wait a minute, it was the little green men from Mars!"

The One Who Saved Our Bacon:
"Ms. Gigabucks, when the f00f bug was crashing servers all over the world, we didn't have a problem because the support outfit outfit I got in here called us *before* we got hit, told us what the problem was, worked with us to schedule a reboot and installed the new kernel. It works great. I'm so glad we have a support contract with them."

--
            David Fetter         888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205
   shackle_at_ren.glaci.com          San Francisco, CA 94109-7089 USA

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.
                                       Dick Cavett