Re: Migrating 7.3.4-->8.0.4

From: Richard Ji <guile_at_escape.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:48:33 GMT

On Thu, 07 May 1998 21:46:19 +0100, Norman Pang <npang_at_netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:

><HTML>
>What is the best method for migrating to Oracle Server 8.0.4 from 7.3.4?
>
><P>Should I use the migration utility, export/import or is there an even
>better method?
>
><P>What are the pro's and con's of these methods?
>
><P>Any advice will be appreciated.
>
><P>Thanks,
>
><P>Norm.</HTML>

Migration Util:
Adv: It's fast regardless of the database size, because it just change the data dictionary objects. This also means it can migrate database in any size. Doesn't take much additional disk space. Dis: No going back from 8 to 7 once it's done. Has to migrate the entire database.

Export/Import:
Adv: You can migrate parts of database. You can downgrade from 8 to 7. Datafiles can be defraged and data compressed which imporves performance. You can restructure database too. Dis: Very slow for large database. Requires a large amount of disk space to store the export files.

Copying Data:
Similar to Export/Import. Also require both database be avaliable at the same time.

Hope this helps Received on Mon May 11 1998 - 13:48:33 CDT