Re: The Best Performance

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:46:45 +0100

In article <894553035.28436.0.nnrp-01.c2de712e_at_news.demon.co.uk>, Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk> writes
>Based on the testing I've just done on Oracle 8.0.4 on NT4, I would suggest
>that you use striping. Varying SGA parameters (within reason), redo logging,
>db block size on db creation, etc., each had less than 10% performance
>improvement in our datawarehouses. Striping the main data and index files
>via the NT Disk Admin tool across 3 drives each gave nearly a 300%
>improvement. Hardware stripping would probably be even faster.
>
>Use the NT Performance Monitor to test and profile your system to find the
>bottlenecks. Oh, and run 'diskperf -y' followed by a re-boot first, or you
>will not get any disk statistics.
>
>Steve Phelan.

PMFJI. I realise every database is different, but based on your testing can you give a quick and dirty summary of 8.0.4 performance on NT4 against 7.3.3?
Would really appreciate any comments.
--
Paul Brewer Received on Sun May 10 1998 - 10:46:45 CDT