Re: Oracle on Linux enhancement request, need your support!

From: David Fetter <dfetter_at_shell4.ba.best.com>
Date: 1998/05/09

In comp.databases.oracle.misc Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org> wrote:
> On 06 May 1998 19:55:01 +0200, Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no> wrote:
>>["Pei L. Ku" <pku_at_gte.net>]
>>|

>>the Linux community is different. first of all, the community is more
>>densely populated with people who have intimate knowledge of their
>>systems. something breaks or stops working, chances are that the
>>problem will be solved within hours or days -- if the person who
>>detected the problem isn't able to resolve the problem herself.
>
> An explosion of linux oracle clients would severely dilute this community,

Funny, an explosion of GUI tools hasn't done it yet, and Netscape or WordPerfect are a ton easier to use than Oracle.

>>Linux too is different from OSes like HP-UX or NT in the sense that it
>>was made by programmers for programmers. isolating and explaining
>>errors on a Linux system is a lot easier than under most other OSes
>>because the OS itself and the tools that usually come with it can be
>>used to probe almost every aspect of the system.

> Are those tools suitable for most MIS types? NIMNSHO.

And they are harder than Solaris' tools...how?

> Heck, if they dedicated a couple of engineers to do the port, they could
> get $millions worth of publicity for it!

Hear, hear! Like Bjorn, I'd buy a Linux version of Oracle in a New York minute.

> The math includes dividing by 0, which messes up the MBA's spreadsheets. :)

:) :)

>>| * I'd doubt Oracle would release source code to the Linux community
>>| (or any place outside of Oracle, for that matter). I'm sure Sybase,
>>| Informix, IBM, and a sleuth of other companies would love to look at
>>| the guts of Oracle.
>>
>>why would Oracle release the source code? you can buy a source
>>license for Solaris and HP-UX -- that still doesn't mean that Oracle
>>will sell you a source code license for customers running those OSes.

> Because the close-knit community that is linux won't accept black
> boxes.

The Linux community has always had an un-dogmatic attitude. That's why Hurd floundered and Linux is growing so fast. People routinely run Netscape, WordPerfect and StarOffice, not to mention (ahem!) some of Oracle's competitors, and none of these products are open source.

> Anarchy doesn't scale well.

Anarchy isn't the Linux model :)

>>perhaps Oracle could do something like what sun did: let Linux-people
>>port Java to Linux.

> Now, that's a good idea. However, the linux-people might not be able to
> stop laughing long enough when the commercial code comes to light.

They'd stop laughing eventually and clean it up :)

>>I also think that other companies will port their databases to Linux.

Some already have.

> Naw, he's too busy playing with hypercubes, NC's and such to bother with
> left-field stuff like servers for '286's.

Linux also runs on some pretty heavy hardware including UltraSparcs and Alphas.

> There have been a whole lot of other neato things that didn't make
> it. People thought I was nuts advocating broadband in the early
> 80's. They were right, the infrastructure would have been too
> expensive. I thought one guy was nuts for wanting to run his
> company on a bunch of networked Apple II's (when they were new).
> Ever hear of Xerox Star? Do you know who invented the Personal
> Computer? Ed the Dentist?

Linux is not at the "wild-eyed dreamer" stage any more. It has a larger install base than Windows NT.

--
            David Fetter         888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205
   shackle_at_ren.glaci.com          San Francisco, CA 94109-7089 USA

"O tempura!  O morays!" -- Cicero, after dining on eels fried in batter.