Re: SQLNET Through Proxy

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 15:21:36 GMT

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <6ivc84$bjf$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, ddeka_at_erols.com says...
> Hi
> I have my Oracle client(SQLNET V2) sitting behind a SOCKS(Proxy) Server and
> My Oracle 7.3 Server running on Solaris 2.5 is on a Network outside the
> Socks Server.
> Is there any way I can redirect my SQLNET traffic to go through the Socks
> Server ? I want this because my firwall doen't allow my m/c's IP address to go
> out and the only way I can go outside is thru the Socks.

It been awhile since I looked at SOCKS, but as I remember it, it provides a replacement network library and you end up recompiling client apps to use that library. The standard distribution includes modified source for ftp, telnet and some others.

If your client is running on a Windows based machine, I believe that there is a replacement for WINSOCK that makes any application SOCKS compatible. You should check out the SOCKS home page at http://www.socks.nec.com and take a look at SOCKScap.

--rick Received on Sat May 09 1998 - 10:21:36 CDT