Do number(38)'s waste space?

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 20:09:28 +0100

Hi All,
My question relates to 7.3.3 and 8.0.4. In a large table, if number(38)'s are used but only populated with, say, 10 digits is any space wasted. Also if this number is later updated to, say, 20 digits could this cause row chaining - or at best data fragmentation within the block?
Same question on varchar2 actually, I heard that over vachar2(255), 2 bytes are needed to store the length, so if you store less than 255 chars in a, say, varchar2(300) then you waste two bytes per row.
Can anyone verify this?
Thanks
Steve
--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Received on Fri May 08 1998 - 14:09:28 CDT