Re: TCP/IP faster than SPX?

From: Jim Donovan <jim_donovan_at_playstation.sony.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 18:14:46 GMT

On Thu, 07 May 1998 00:10:45 GMT, gennick_at_worldnet.att.net (Jonathan Gennick) wrote:

>Someone told me that in a Windows NT environment that using
>TCP/IP is much faster than SPX. Is this true? They could
>not point to any specific reference to back that up.
>
>Also, what about named pipes? How does this compare as a
>connection method? Is it preferable to any of the others?

TCP/IP has been shown to be faster than other network protocols under NT. In practice however, I've never seen a significant performance difference between Named Pipes, TCP/IP, and IPX/SPX when running on a LAN. Of far more significance is how well your applications are designed/tuned.

Jim Donovan
MCSE
jim_donovan_at_playstation.sony.com Received on Fri May 08 1998 - 13:14:46 CDT