Re: Need Help on Views

From: Peter Schneider <peter.schneider_at_okay.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 01:17:02 GMT

On Thu, 7 May 1998 16:49:58 +0300, "Andrew Protasov" <protasov_at_percombank.kiev.ua> wrote:

>Hi Scott,
>
>My point of view is you should use views where is it possible. They don't
>damage performance in any way. They provide additional security level
>and additional independence level between your application and data.
>Your application should always use SQL statements like
>select * from <view name>
>or
>select * from <view name> where <some condition>
>where condition is generated dynamically in application.
>You can always change view definition without changing client side code
>using this approach. This is very flexible.
>
> Andrew Protasov
>
>Scott Fletcher wrote in message <35505803.0_at_newsprime.tidalwave.net>...

[when and when not to use views...]

Hi Andrew,

I agree with your point about having an additional abstraction layer between your code and your data, but there's one aspect that one must keep in mind when designing views:

If you're using Des2K with the generators (R1.x) , you'll have the requirement that the frontend must be able to issue direct DML against your data, so you must either have only updateable views, or must code the DML yourself by some kind of PL/SQL API to your tables. So you'll end up not using Des2K to the fullest extent of productivity that's possible when you do not have this abstraction layer.

BTW, does anyone know whether Des2K R2 is released already ? From what I know, R2 will allow more flexibility and provide more design options for such issues than 1.x does.

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Schneider
peter.schneider_at_okay.net Received on Thu May 07 1998 - 20:17:02 CDT