Re: Oracle performance on different drive types.

From: Marco Fuykschot <marcof_at_superfluid.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 16:48:19 +0200

Eric Ladner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any numbers or gut feelings of Oracle performance on
> different drive configurations? I'm specifically looking for
> comparisons between regular drives, striped drives and RAID 5 drives.
>
> Is there a performance hit or gain for these groups?
>
> Eric Ladner
> Chevron Products Company

 I i'm doing some tests with oracle 8 on a Sun with the normal builtin drive on of the tests took about 45 min to complete

and when i hooked a nieuw harddrive, a segeate spinnel disk -> it runs on 10000 rmp's instead of the normal rmps,moved the complete database to the new disk, and i did the same test agian, now it took about 15 minutes.

So if you plan to use single disk(s) and you need to speed up you queries, consider to buy disk(s) which runs at a higher rmp than other disk(s)

--

|   Ing.  Marco Fuykschot                 |
|  marcof_at_superfluid.com                  |