Re: HIGH performance, HIGH SPEED, FASTEST OS running a database server!!

From: Jorge Torralba <jorge.torralba_at_intel.com>
Date: 1998/05/06

I hate to burst your bubble. But, Linux is not ready for prime time. Informix and Oracle are databases designed for mission critical applications with high number of users which depend on a reliable OS to run on. That is why you see SUN, HP-UX, AIX as the primary OS for these high performance databases.

On the other hand. If you want to run a small business with just a few users and you can afford to bring down your server regularly, then I see no problems running LINUX or any other OS. You might as well run access, paradox foxpro or any other pc based database system. their price is right in there with the price of Linux.

gold_bag_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> If you are looking for high performance, high speed, the FASTEST
> operating system in the world running a database server, than your
> wait is over!! Linux is super-fast running "superb OS" most suitable
> to run a database server on it!
> Borland Corp had recently released Interbase SQL server on Linux!!
> check that out.

> Salient Features of Linux Operating System
>
> · Linux is the FASTEST operating system in the world! Linux runs MUCH
> FASTER
> than Windows95/NT. Linux is 1.2 to 3 times faster than Windows NT or 95.
> In
> command-line console mode without X-windows it runs even faster (console
> mode
> is most ideal for servers like database servers, webservers,
> emailservers..etc.)
>
> · Linux is the most RELIABLE OS. Windows95, Windows NT fail the
> CRASH_OS_TEST
> programs and only Linux passes. Also commercial unixe's like IRIX,
> Solaris, HPUX,
> AIX, SCO all FAIL the crash test and only Linux passes the crashme test.
> (See
> crashme*.rpm on cdrom). Very often Windows95 users will get GPF errors
> and the
> system freezes. Linux is very robust because it is built by millions of
> people
> on internet and there are no errors in the kernel. Linux runs for one
> full
> year without any re-boots or any problems non-stop!
>
> · Linux has excellent SCALABILITY - it runs on Uni-processor,
> Multi-processors,
> Parallel Processors and even Super-computers (with hundreds of CPUs).
> Linux fully supports SMP(Symmetric Multi-Processing) boxes with more
> than
> one cpu. Windows 95 supports only one cpu box. Linux scales much BETTER
> than NT on SMP (Symmetric Multi Processors) boxes.
>
> · Linux is fully 32-bit/64-bit operating system. And Linux is very
> modular and
> is easily ported to 64-bit chips like DEC alpha, UltraSparc. Windows95
> has vast
> majority of 16-bit code in its kernel (about 70% of kernel is 16-bit
> code and the
> remaining is 32-bit).
>
> · Linux is a very SECURE OS. Windows95 is NOT a secure OS, break-ins
> are easy.
> Windows 95, NT, MSDOS have computer VIRUSES. But Linux does not have any
> viruses.
> The reason being the way Linux OS is designed.
>
> · Linux is less demanding on system resources. Linux runs on 386 PC with
> as
> little as 2 MB in console mode without X-windows. Windows 95 and NT
> CANNOT
> because the graphic engine
> in built inside the kernel which makes Windows95/NT a resource hog.
> Graphic
> [...]

Jorge Torralba                       Intel Corporation
Technology and Manufacturing Grp     HF2-71
Sys. MFG, Information Technology     5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy
(503)696-4587                        Hilssboro, OR 97124
jorge.torralba_at_intel.com
Any views or opinions expressed by me do not reflect those of
Intel Corp

****                ****               ****
*  *                *  *               *  *
****                *  *               *  *
                  ***  ***             *  *
****  ****  ****  *      *             *  *
*  *  *  * *    * ***  ***             *  *
*  *  *  **      *  *  *               *  *
*  *  *     ***  *  *  *       ***     *  *
                           *   *
                            *       *
                              ******