Re: HIGH performance, HIGH SPEED, FASTEST OS running a database server!!

From: George Dau <gedau_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 00:15:33 GMT

Jorge Torralba <jorge.torralba_at_intel.com> wrote:

]I hate to burst your bubble. But, Linux is not ready for prime time. Informix and
]Oracle are databases designed for mission critical applications with high number of
]users which depend on a reliable OS to run on. That is why you see SUN, HP-UX, AIX
]as the primary OS for these high performance databases.
]
]On the other hand. If you want to run a small business with just a few users and you
]can afford to bring down your server regularly, then I see no problems running LINUX
]or any other OS. You might as well run access, paradox foxpro or any other pc based
]database system. their price is right in there with the price of Linux.

Jorge,
There is something very wrong with your Linux setup. The two important Linux servers here (the ones we need for remote access to support the Suns, and our essential www pages etc) both have uptimes exceeding 1 year. Yeah, that means I haven't installed some security patches, but we don't need them :-) Why would you need to bring down a Linux server regularly????

(follow-ups set to move this discussion to comp.os.linux.misc) --

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)
\_,--\_/  Home: gedau_at_pobox.com      Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au ( \/ )
      v   WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W