Re: What happens when STARTUP FORCE is used ?

From: <cmohan_at_iname.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 12:05:26 -0600

A STARTUP FORCE will shutdown the database, if it is already running. If you issue a plain STARTUP for a database which is already open, then you will just see 'ORA-01018: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first'. When you issue STARTUP FORCE, the database is brought down first, but I am not sure if it shuts down IMMEDIATE or ABORT, I know for a fact it is not shutdown normal.

Hope this helps,
CM