Re: ORA-600 in Japanese Database

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 6 May 1998 09:43:22 -0700

In article <354F441F.CB9941D6_at_ptc.com>, Sergey Nikolayenko <tmpsniko_at_ptc.com> wrote:

>--------------AA563A49855694F286A2D421
>
>Hi All,
>
>We have some graphical application that is receiving ORA-00600 error
>during connection to japanese database only. Trace file has some string
>"Current statement for this session: ..." with PL/SQL block, that only
>call particular procedure. We tried to debug it by using DBMS_PIPE
>package, but it does not sent anything to pipe (this method was tested
>for UNIX db server). We replaced all body of this procedure on sending
>some message into pipe - it sends nothing. It seems to me that the error
>assures during passing parameters to this procedure. This procedure has
>a many VARCHAR2 parameters and it is very possible, that something is
>wrong with conversion of values for this parameters.
>
>We tested this application with different character sets, under
>different platforms, with different clients. And we have this problem in
>one case only:
>
> Database server on Windows NT (Intel or DEC Alpha).
> Database was created with character set JA16EUC.
> Client uses character set JA16SJIS (we tested clients under UNIX and
>Windows NT).

I do recall a situation that that character set has some characters that act as delimeters. Unfortunately I never got more details than that, but I hope this may give a clue - perhaps the parameter count gets messed up when PL thinks a parameter has ended when it really hasn't. Perhaps you could try sending each character and see if any consistently cause this.

>For other combination of character sets, type of clients all is OK.
>
>Does anybody meet such problem?
>

>--
>Sergey V. Nikolayenko Software Engineer, Server Applications
>Parametric Technology email: tmpsnikolayenko_at_ptc.com
>128 Technology Drive phone: (617) 398-6519
>Waltham, MA 02154 fax: (617) 398-5633
>

>--------------AA563A49855694F286A2D421
>
><HTML>
>Hi All,
>
><P>We have some graphical application that is receiving ORA-00600 error
>during connection to japanese database only. Trace file has some string
>"Current statement for this session: ..." with PL/SQL block, that only
>call particular procedure. We tried to debug it by using DBMS_PIPE package,
>but it does not sent anything to pipe (this method was tested for UNIX
>db server). We replaced all body of this procedure on sending some message
>into pipe - it sends nothing. It seems to me that the error assures during
>passing parameters to this procedure. This procedure has a many VARCHAR2
>parameters and it is very possible, that something is wrong with conversion
>of values for this parameters.
>
><P>We tested this application with different character sets, under different
>platforms, with different clients. And we have this problem in one case
>only:
>
><P>&nbsp; Database server on Windows NT (Intel or DEC Alpha).
><BR>&nbsp; Database was created with character set JA16EUC.
><BR>&nbsp; Client uses character set JA16SJIS (we tested clients under
>UNIX and Windows NT).
>
><P>For other combination of character sets, type of clients all is OK.
>
><P>Does anybody meet such problem?
><BR>&nbsp;
><BR>&nbsp;
><PRE>--&nbsp;
>Sergey V. Nikolayenko Software Engineer, Server Applications&nbsp;
>Parametric Technology&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email: tmpsnikolayenko_at_ptc.com&nbsp;
>128 Technology Drive&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; phone: (617) 398-6519
>Waltham, MA 02154&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fax: (617) 398-5633</PRE>
>&nbsp;</HTML>
>
>--------------AA563A49855694F286A2D421--

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed May 06 1998 - 11:43:22 CDT