Re: how to kill a session properly while running server codes

From: <johnk_at_brunet.bn>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 08:42:56 -0600

In article <354d596a.861398297_at_news.istar.ca>#1/1,   hyuen_at_istar.ca (Harry Yuen) wrote:

> Recently I had to terminate some server running program by means of
> rebooting the client PC. I tried to truncate some tables afterward
> but got a message saying the resource is busy.
> Is there a better way to take care of session killing without getting
> the same effect? As for resource busy, what is available other than
> restarting the instance? Is kiiling a session a DBA only task?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Harry Yuen

Harry,
Rebooting a Client PC is probably not the best way to terminate a server process - looks like the server process did not die and held a lock on the tables. The "ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION" does not really kill such a runaway process and an Operating System kill is probably the best way. You could locate the runaway process by looking at the V$PROCESS table - in UNIX, you can then use the 'kill -TERM <pid>'. I am not sure how to do it in NT - you can reduce the priority of the identified thread but that doesn't stay kill it (any Guru has a clue?).

HTH
John Kanagaraj