Are these topics documented anywhere ?

From: Njål A. Ekern <n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 11:20:59 +0200

Hi all !

I wonder, is any of these issues documented in any article or in any book:

  1. Fastest way to check existence of a row.
  2. Memory usage when populating a pl/sql table. (F.ex. a pl/sql-table being a table of record(num number(1), vc1 varchar2(2000), vc2 Varchar2(2000)); Will this allocate about 4MB in the PGA: for a in 1 .. 1000 loop my_table(a).num := NULL; )
  3. Instead of deleting and recreating a pl/sql-table, is it faster to keep the table and repopulate it? (I always assign values to all the columns in the table, and I use the indexes 1, 2, 3 ... n, where n can differ, so if not initiating the table by deleting it, I have a variable to keep track of the number of entries in the table)
  4. What happens when you declare a plsql_table as the %rowtype of an existing normal table? If the normal table contains a long? If the normal table has a column of varchar2(30), will the column in the plsql-table also be varchar2(30) or will it be varchar2(2000) ?

If somebody can point me in the right direction for any of these topics, I will be very greatful.

Njål Received on Wed May 06 1998 - 04:20:59 CDT