Re: HELP: to install 8.0.3 on IRIX

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 5 May 1998 16:08:51 -0700

In article <354DCD7A.47D3F3E8_at_tid.es>, Paco Belinchón <fbm07_at_tid.es> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've got a terrible problem.
>
>I'm installing an Oracle 8.0.3 server on a IRIX platform. I can install
>the software without any problem, but when the installation program
>tries to create the database, the following error occurs:
>
> ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges.
>
> If I start 'svrmgl' and I connect as 'internal', when I execute
>'startup nomount' the same error appears.
>
> I've followed the installation instructions step by step.
>
> I have an oracle user who belongs to dba group.
>The variables 'ORACLE_HOME , 'ORACLE_BASE' and 'ORACLE_SID' are defined.
>
>The installation program can copy all the software without any problem,
>so it would appear that the user 'oracle' has the correct directory
>access privileges, so I don't think I am missing any programs/oracle
>code.
>
>Can anyone give me any advice.
>
> Thank in advance.

What is the setuid on your oracle executable? Should be something like:

% ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
-rwsr-s--x 1 oracle dba 10634916 Feb 10 14:03 /disk2/app/oracle/product/7.3.4/bin/oracle %

I've also seen this on some platforms that don't clean up shared memory very well. man ipcs.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Tue May 05 1998 - 18:08:51 CDT