Can't change the nls_date_format!

From: Linkage <yngm_at_chowsangsang.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 01:33:43 +0800

Hi,

    Does anyone know how to set up Oracle server to prevent the problem of yr2k? In my company, we just change the nls_date_format from "DD-MON-YY" to "DD-MON-RR". Is there any better method?

    The config. of our server is Oracle Enterprise Server version 7.3.4 which upgrade from 7.2.2 running on WinNT4.0 server with 64M RAM.

    However, we have some problem when changing the nls_date_format. When I add the entry nls_date_format = "DD-MON-YY" to the initsid.ora and restart the database, I issue select * from nls_database_parameters; . To my suprise, the value nls_date_format does not change, it remain as 'DD-MON-YY'. I even change the nls_date_format in the underlaying table props$ to "DD-MON-RR", then the value in the nls_database_parameters does change to "DD-MON-RR". But when I insert a row with a date to a table, eg. insert A ( key, datefield) values ('1', '1-1-98'); then , I select key, to_char(datefield, 'dd-mon-yyyy') from table A; it does return 1, '1-1-2098' which is the wrong result. Does I do anything wrong? Or there are something I need to do?

    One thing more, I see the RDBMS version from the table of nls_database_parameters is 7.2.2. Why did the version not change because I have upgraded to 7.3.4 and run the cat7XXX.sql. Do I need to do something else to refresh the version.

    TIA. Best Regards,
Man Yeung Received on Tue May 05 1998 - 12:33:43 CDT