Question Regarding Backup Tables, Transaction Tables

From: Mark Tortolano <mark_tortolano_at_youre.welcome.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 13:42:18 GMT

I'm working on a database application that will create personalised email messages for users, based on a set of user preferences, and using a set of tables that hold different content.

I've got a couple of questions about backup tables, and was wanting any advice that people have:

  1. The main users table holds user details and their preferences, ie whether they want to see News or not, what Weather region they want, etc etc. Would it be worth me also having a table that holds all the changes they make to that table, ie. a trigger would copy their current preferences to this table before making the update to the main table? Would I get any benefit from doing that, or are the actual transaction logs enough to rebuild the table should the database somehow break?
  2. Also, the other tables in the database just hold all the latest content information that we use to make up the emails. Is it worth copying all their content to backup tables when it gets overwritten by SQL*Loader so I have a backup of that old stuff too?

Mark Received on Tue May 05 1998 - 08:42:18 CDT