SQL*Loader ignoring Rows and Bindsize parameters

From: David J. Devejian <_widsith__at__panix_._com_>
Date: 4 May 1998 20:51:06 GMT

I am having trouble using the SQL*Loader utility:

I specify in the control file:
  OPTIONS (BINDSIZE=1048576, ROWS=500, ERRORS=10000, SILENT=(DISCARDS)) and the log file indicates that it has accepted these options:

  Number to load: ALL
  Number to skip: 0
  Errors allowed: 10000
  Bind array:     500 rows, maximum of 1048576 bytes
  Continuation:    none specified
  Path used:      Conventional

  Silent options: DISCARDS

and

  Space allocated for bind array:                1048572 bytes(399 rows)
  Space allocated for memory besides bind array: 2030549 bytes

however, the console output of the load indicates that a commit is occuring every 32 records.

Does anyone know what other parameters may be limiting the number of rows loaded in each commit?

A second and perhaps related error occurs when running a direct load: During the load process, memory is consumed rather quickly, and the machine starts to page heavily. This is expected because the default behavior is to build the block images in memory and then write them to the database once at the end of the load. However, when I try to cause the blocks to be written ever 5 or 10 or 50 thousand records, thorugh the Rows parameter, there is no change in the behavior. I am assuming that the Rows parameter is being ignored.

The database is 7.3.2.3.3, running on WinNT (no flames please, it wasnt my choice) 3.51

Any help is appreciated,

regards
David J. Devejian
_djd_@_fsi2000_._com_ Received on Mon May 04 1998 - 15:51:06 CDT