Re: Export:How to give a space in dump file name

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 4 May 1998 16:34:33 GMT

Chakravarthy KM Nalamotu <kittu_at_Hawaii.Edu> wrote ...

> I am sure some one might have ran into a similar problem
> before. I am trying to export a database to a dump file
> that has a space in it e.g. 'abc def.dmp'. How can I do
> this? I tried giving single quotes, double quotes, they
> do not seem to be working. Please help.

I tried it on Solaris 2.6 using Oracle 7.3.4, and Windows95, using the "exp80" binary from the Oracle Client 8.0.3 CD.

On Solaris (and Unix in general), you can supply an escape character "\" before the space. For instance

Export file: expdat.dmp > abc\ 123.dmp

% ls *.dmp
julie.dmp rms0501.dmp abc 123.dmp

On Win95, just type in the space.

Export file: EXPDAT.DMP > abc 123.dmp

C:\>dir *.dmp

 Volume in drive C is WIN 95
 Volume Serial Number is 22A6-7B58
 Directory of C:\

ABCSSS~1 DMP        59,392  05-04-98 12:29p abc sss.dmp
         1 file(s)         59,392 bytes
         0 dir(s)      81,821,696 bytes free

A better question might be: Why do you want the space in the first place?

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
City of Washington Pipe Band
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html