How do I know if PMON(process monitor) works correctly?

From: yedoli <yedoli.bbs_at_bbs.tku.edu.tw>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:03:10 +0800

Recently I have some problems about profile. When a process exceeds idle time the status becomes "sniped". But the system doesn't release the resources until the server's session is over the number which we set in the initial file.

I have the same result in tow condition. nt3.51 and oracle7.2, nt4.0 and oracle8.0.

I think that the PMON doesn't work correctly but I don't know how to enable the PMON.

        Thank you.

                kimiko_at_pdd.iii.org.tw

I checked some books.

The "oracle7 server concepts" writes:
[p17-10]
You can limite the idle time for a session. If the time between Oracle calls for a session reaches the idle time limit, the current transaction is rolled back, the session is aborted, and the resources of the session are returned to the system. The next call receives an error that indicates the user is no longer connected to the instance. This limit is set as a number of elapsed minutes.

Note: Shortly after a session is aborted because it has exceeded an idle time limit, PMON cleans up after the aborted session. Until PMON completes this process, the killed session is still conted as one of the sessions for the session/user resource limit. Received on Mon May 04 1998 - 04:03:10 CDT