Re: Oracle 7.3 not Y2K compliant on Digital Unix?

From: Henk de Wilde <dewildeh_at_xs4all.nl.NOSPAM>
Date: 1998/05/03

On Sat, 2 May 1998 21:54:13 +0100, Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>We have been told by a third party supplier that Oracle 7.3.2 is not
>certified Y2K compliant on Digital UNIX 4.0.
>
>Does anyone have any details on this? If we have to go through an
>expensive upgrade, we would like to know why.

That supplier must be using a _very_ restricted definition of Y2K compliancy to state this. According to Oracle's definition, and I agree, RDBMS version 7 is fully compliant and even version 6 is only not compliant insofar as there is no date format mask to facilitate two-digit year input.

When it comes to the tools the picture is somewhat more complicated. The newer tools are virtually all fully compliant. Many older tools are not compliant but can achieve compliancy in a relative simple way, by taking advantage of the compliancy of the database.

Details about compliancy can be found in an Oracle whitepaper : "Oracle products and Year 2000 Compliance" This can probably be found on their website.

I hope this helps

Henk de Wilde. Received on Sun May 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT