Re: Returning to Old Datafiles

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 04:43:25 GMT

Dean:

You won't be able to do this exactly as you'd like (and not at all if you are not running in archivelog mode). In Oracle7, you can't recover a single tablespace to a previous point in time (you can in Oracle8). You have a couple of choices:

  1. Don't do anything at all.
  2. Recover the entire database to the previous Monday.
  3. IF you have an export from Monday night, you can truncate all of the necessary tables and import Monday's data.

If you're not running in archivelog mode, you won't be able to do step#4 below. If you are running in archivelog mode and you have all the archive logs since last Monday, the database will force you to recover the tablespace up to the current SCN.

If this is a recurring problem, consider:

  1. Taking a nightly export. OR
  2. Upgrade to Oracle8 and use archivelog mode so you can do a "point-in-time tablespace recovery". OR
  3. Find a new employer with some common sense!

Seriously, study the Recovery section of the Server Administrator's guide. It spells out all the different recovery options, and the necessary steps and requirements.

Good luck!
Dave