Re: Oracle ODBC performance SUCKS!@

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 02:08:37 GMT

You say you are trying this with the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle8. What kind of performance are you seeing with the Oracle-developed ODBC driver for Oracle8? Have you even tried the Oracle8 ODBC driver from Oracle??? (You can get this for free download from the external Web site http://www.oracle.com).

You may also want to see the relative performance of the InterSolv ODBC driver for Oracle8 (which you can trial from http://www.intersolv.com).

One way to determine if the problem is your ODBC driver or not is to perform the same DML operation against your Oracle8 server using SQL*Plus.

To answer your "question", Oracle8 on NT does not suck. I have personally worked with a large number of different customers who have successfully deployed mission-critical database applications on Oracle8 on NT, and they have been overwhelmingly delighted.

For more information about the "hubbub" about Oracle8, please see:

        http://www.oracle.com/st/

Good luck!

On Fri, 1 May 1998 18:32:42 -0400, "bubba" <brittonb_at_webt.com> wrote:

>Two identical tables: one in MS SQL Server, the Other in Oracle 8 NT.
>(NT Server 4.0 SP3, 96 MB RAM, PII 266, SCSI Wide 4-g. Stripped system of no
>other extraneous applications, processes.)
>
>Access 97 linked tables via ODBC (BOth Microsoft ODBC drivers, one for
>oracle, the other SQL Server.)

>NT server performance to sky rocket to 97% for three seconds just to pull
>back a pagefull of data in MS Access via ODBC from the Oracle 8 Server.
>
>Using the same linked table(exact schema) but MSAccess to MS Sql Server
>results in a page of data coming in less than 1 second and NT performance
>monitor shows 2% utilization on the processor for this test.
>
>Now I know that this is informal and not scientific. But , Oracle Sucks!
>
>Every time I hit page down in MS access via ODBC to Oracle 8 it takes three
>to four seconds per page of data. In MS Sql server it's pretty much
>instantaneous.
>
>By the way, I ran each test on the server while only one database server
>process was running(ie., Oracle 8 Alone on the server, then MS SQL Server
>alone on the server.
>
>What the hell is going on?
>
>How can somebody reliably develop with ODBC and Oracle 8? With 1 user Oracle
>8 is brought to it's knees!
>
>I have Oracle 8 running in the default configuration but with 30mb SGA.
>
>I absolutely have to know if I can tweak Oracle 8 into a usable system for a
>VB5 to Oracle 8 application via ODBC. If not, I have to explain to my
>customer to switch to MS SQL(they already own oracle 8).
>
>I can't imagine running a 100-user + system on Oracle 8. What's all the
>hubbub about Oracle 8 anyway. Does it just suck on NT or what?
>
>brittonb_at_webt.com

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat May 02 1998 - 21:08:37 CDT