Re: Query Speed

From: Doug Cha <dcha_at_shell2.ba.best.com>
Date: 2 May 1998 07:06:44 GMT

3 times is quite a figure, but do remember that when a database is exported and imported back into a 'fresh' system, the extents are all compressed in a neat and ordely fashion, chaining is reduced, etc. I've seen very dramatic improvements after an export/import cycle.

Run sessions looking at the explain plans, and with utlbstat/ utlestat to see if the access paths or data hits are actually different. Then you'll know if you are actually looking at different datasets.

Joe Condle <condle_at_med.pitt.edu> wrote:
: I am running Oracle 8 for the Solaris OS. I have supposedly two
: identical machines with the same databases on them. The database
: was generated on one and exported to the other. The problem I have
: is when I run simple sql queries on one the same query runs three
: times as fast on the other. It is almost exactly three times
: difference. 22 secs on the origninal machine vers 1 min on the
: other. My question is where do I start to look for differences.
: I am a newbie and have started looking throught all the docs. Please
: point me in the right direction.

: Thanks in Advance

: Joe Condle
: Sys Engr