Re: Query Speed

From: <cmohan_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:10:12 -0600

This is a very broad question and there are lot of places to look for : 1. Check the specs for the 2 machines (RAM, clock speed etc) and confirm if they are the same.
2. The next step is to ensure that your logical database layout and physical database layout are similar to both the databases. (points 3 and 4 below) 3. Identify how many hard disks are there in each machine and locate the datafiles for each database. Make sure that the datafiles relating to TABLE tablespace and INDEX tablespace are on different machines. 4. Make sure that the REDO LOG files are datafiles are different hard disks. 5. Check to see if the parameter files (INITsid.ORA) have the same values for SGA configuration for both the database. 6. Even though they are all the same, if the slow database is on a machine that has a lot of other applications running, accessing the same disks ORACLE is using, you will see a significant difference.

Good luck,
CM