MTBF metrics for oracle systems

From: <dave.herdman_at_bib.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 03:44:49 -0600

Hi

I have been tasked with carrying out an analysis of failure probability for a large new on-line oracle-8 / unix based project. This stuff will be used as part of the justification for funding (several millions of dollars). Getting MTBF figures for the hardware and managed network is fairly easy. Figures for the OS are a bit more difficult and I have nothing for the software. (Note this is not even written yet so I can't run any tests). I wonder if there is anybody out there who has any MTBF figures for a UNIX commercial transaction processing system using oracle (ideally 8 but 7.x would do) that they would be willing to share with me. From my last position I have figures of MTBF of 3 weeks for a large UNIX Oracle system running 7.3 on Dec Unix. The software at that site was not very mature so these figures are probably somewhat pessimistic.

BTW by failure I consider anything that stops delivery of service to the users including:- Application crash or hang, Database crash or hang due to whatever cause including running out of tablespace, rollback space etc etc

TIA Dave Herdman