Re: Oracle 7 and DG Unix 4

From: Joe Blow <foo_at_foo.net>
Date: 1998/04/29

In article <3546EDE1.3175E361_at_jameswatt.ac.uk>, Jamie Keir <jkerr_at_jameswatt.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi.

We're in the same position. According to Oracle's MetaLink web pages, DU4.0 supports Oracle 7.1.6.2.0 *with a patch file*. According to Digital, binaries from 3.2 should run on 4.0 without recompilation as long as they don't access any kernal structures - ie. user code should be fine.

See http://support.oracle.com/MetaLink/

Of course, if somebody knows different, now's the time to speak up!

Jamie Keir

P.M.Wong wrote:

> We are currently running Oracle 7.1.6 on an Alpha with Digital Unix 3.2
> There's an OS upgrade plan to put it up to Version 4.
> Before this, i have to make sure there's no hiccup for our existing
> Oracle Database if it's to run on the higher level DG Unix.

As always, don't believe everything Digital tells you. Even though Oracle code doesn't fiddle with kernel data structures, Digital made two changes in Digital UNIX 4.0X that made the patch file to 7.1.6.2.0 required for people who want to run 7.1.6.2.0 on UNIX 4.0X.

  1. The API for async I/O changed from the one in Digital UNIX 3.2X.
  2. Digital UNIX 3.2X used X11R5, while Digital UNIX 4.0X uses X11R6. The location of some X/Motif related files changed between X11R5 and X11R6; unfortunately the Oracle Motif tools looked for these files in their X11R5 locations.

The patch modifies 7.1.6.2.0 to account for these two changes in Digital UNIX 4.0X. I obtained the above info from Oracle support.

--Joe Received on Wed Apr 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT