Trouble with DBMS_ALERT.SIGNAL in a trigger

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1998/04/28

I am trying to follow the DBMS_ALERT usage example as given in the chapter 12 of the Oracle7 Server Application Developer's Guide. The trigger has only one command in it: dbms_alert.signal('test_alert','test_message');

But it won't compile. Gives compilation errors and the resulting trigger is invalid. I have tried other commands in the same trigger body and they work so I know that my trigger creating mechanism is OK. This dbms_alert.signal command works out side of the trigger body as well (e.g. from SQL worksheet). It's just the combination of the two (trigger and dbms_alert.signal) that doesn't go. What am I doing wrong...???

I am using Ora7.3, WinNT4.

Thanks and Regards,
Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Tue Apr 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT