A few long questions

From: Eleanor LeClair <eleclair_at_gnossos.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:37:13 -0400

We will soon be starting development of a new system which will run on MS SQL 7.0 (using beta for now) and Oracle 8, depending on which back-end the client wishes to use. Our OS for both will be Microsoft NT Server.
Questions:

  1. For development purposes is it possible to load MS SQL 7.0 and Oracle 8 on the same NT machine and have them both running at the same time? (I know you can load MS SQL 6.5 and 7.0 on the same NT machine, but can only RUN one at a time.)
  2. Can someone please tell me the low and high end server hardware requirements for running Oracle 8? This system will support approximately 15-25 users at the same time. The database will have approximately 100 tables, and the larger tables will house about 200,000 records.
  3. Is there an alternative to writing triggers and stored procedures in both MS SQL and Oracle? Is it possible to write these in C?
  4. Oracle 8 claims "Performance gains have also been achieved by moving many triggers required for REPLICATION into the kernal, and writing them in C, rather than PL/SQL. This shortens response time, reduces required resources, and reduces administrative overhead." Has anyone actually done this?

I'm not a C programmer, so please be explicit. Thanks for your help.
Eleanor Received on Tue Apr 28 1998 - 08:37:13 CDT