Re: Oracle Userid from OS

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 27 Apr 1998 16:50:32 -0700

In article <354493B8.3D5A_at_med.pitt.edu>, Joe Condle <condle_at_med.pitt.edu> wrote:
>When running packages in Oracle 8 on sun solaris I want to
>use the userid logon to get me into oracle. The manual is
>not very clear on this. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think
>there is an enviromental variable called OPS$ that gets set
>to your current database in init.ora. Somehow from that you
>should be able to run your packages with an OPS$userid reference
>and not have to embed the userid/password in the package.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated we are relative newbies
>to oracle.

The ops$ is a literal prepended to the os name.

When you use the SQL CREATE USER ... IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY Oracle lets the operating system validate users. Then to get into sqlplus, for example, you can say
sqlplus /
if you are logged into the correct account. You can also use ops$<yourname> (you may need to protect the $ with a \), and you can change the ops$ literal to something else with the init param OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX (see the Server Reference).

For NET8, set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT initialization parameter to TRUE and see the Oracle8 Administrators Reference about creating a daemon user.

Try creating a user identified externally, then as SYSTEM select * from dba_users. You will see the user you just created with the authentication prefix. You may also see another use with the same name and without the prefix, if you created that user identified by a password.

The database instance you get to is determined by the environment variable ORACLE_SID, or TWO_TASK over the network.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 18:50:32 CDT