Re: Removing dublicate records in table and hostarray

From: Henk de Wilde <dewildeh_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:29:31 GMT

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:13:58 +0100, "Colin Sutherland" <c.sutherland_at_easynet.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Why not have a before insert trigger for each row on table x which is fired
>before a transaction is inserted.
>
>The trigger code will open an explicit cursor which checks for a similar
>record in table y, Use the predefined exception WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND to allow
>the insert to proceed else exit from trigger without updating table x.
>
>Nice and clean no clean up of table x .
>
>Colin.

< snip >

I choose this approach because I once had to adapt such a solution where performance was problematical. Your solution is better when there is not to much insert activity relative to the capacity of your platform, but the overhead of a table lookup, including cursor opening and closing, for every inserted row might become prohibitive if there is much activity on the table.

Greetings,

Henk de Wilde Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 16:29:31 CDT