Client and Server on different platforms?

From: Jason R. Frey <jfrey_at_phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu>
Date: 27 Apr 1998 11:45:59 -0700

 I have been developing using Oracle 7.3.3 on an NT Server for a while. No  problems, works fine. Now, I find out some customers need small (Note that  word, small) custom apps for Unix to be integrated with the software  package. Not a problem, I figure it will take under 100 lines of C code.  Now, my problem arises. How do I get my Unix machine (Either SCO or Linux,  you decide. :)) talking to my Oracle server. Assume that all of the  underlying networking configurations/protocols/etc. are working properly.  Way back when, when I took a database class, it was almost as easy as  including something like an oracle.h file at the top of the C source code,  and that gave functions and whatnot for connecting. That would be perfect  for what I need. It would be perfect if I could get the libraries free,  but somehow I doubt that's going to happen. :) All I'm going to need to do  is simple SQL strings, and maybe calling a stored procedure or two. The  people at Oracle are no help, as they don't seem to be programmers, and  have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention the word "library".  They tell me to buy the Developer2000 (Which is overkill, IMO). Anyways,  can someone please help me out, point me in the right direction on hwere to  search more, etc.? Thanks.

--
"If Dino were a velociraptor, he would have eaten the Flintstones"

Jason Frey, Computer Science, jfrey_at_phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 13:45:59 CDT