Re: Lost control files and a data file

From: Greg Parsons <parsons_at_intermetrics.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:53:55 GMT

Hi Martin,

    Sorry for your troubles. Don't send the resume's out just yet.     Sounds like you lost an entire drive. Also, sounds like noarchive log mode. You're sure, no backups?

    If the lost datafile has a duplicate on an uneffected drive - you're probably okay with it. Copy over to replaced drive and move on to the control file. If you ran regularly or even recently an "ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE "... to trace or to a filename also to an uneffected drive, you're probably okay there, too. You may also be okay IF the data is stagnant or you're in a development environment - where the data can usually be quickly scripted back in. In which case, use the create database command with the parms in init.ora to recreate it from scratch.

    Well, that's enough of IF's. If none-of-the-above, you've got a crash-n-burn.
HTH, Greg