Re: unused space in extent and performance

From: Nevin and Cynthia Hahn <lllacey_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:06:59 -0600

>I'am working on a data warahouse. The initial extents of tables and indexes
>are sized to contain 5 years of data. For example: the largest table will
be
>about 2 GIG but now is filled with only 200MB of data. Does a large
ammount
>of free space in the initial extents have a negitive effect on performance.
>
>I have the feeling that choosing a more conservative initial extent will
>benefit the performance in the first years. Ofcourse this will need
>reorganising tables wen they are becomming to fragmented.
>
>All comments are welcome

Rob,
Not to worry you'll be fine. You have prescribed to the notion that fitting everything in one extent is the way to go. It does not hurt to have multiple extents just so long as they don;t get out of contol. Having one extent makes the object easy to manage, however it also prevents you from striping the table across multiple disks. If you are using the Parallel Query Option you may have I/O bottlenecking if the table resides on only one disk.

Cheers,
Nevin Hahn
nevin.hahn_at_born.com Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 00:06:59 CDT