Re: Information Required on Problems Occuring with Oracle Webserver on Solaris

From: Stéphane Lacasse <lacasse_at_info.uqam.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:02:35 GMT

The only help I can give you is to tell you that you're not the only one experimenting the problem you described...

We have exactly the same system setup you have and 2 ou 3 times a day it gets heavily loaded : up to 40 wrb processes can be running at the same time!!

Of course, we used the quick-and-dirty-and-immediate solution, which is to kill all the wrb processes, stop and then restart the Web servers. But I would like to hear about a permanent solution. Note that the OWS 2.1.1 doesn't seem to lose control about the wrb processes. Yesterday, for example, there was 33 wrb processes in the middle of the afternoon (with a load average of 36 !). We didn't send any signal to any oraweb21 or wrb21 process and, by the end of the afternoon, the load average was around 0.35 and there was only 4 wrb processes left.

I'm currently working on optimizing our Web PL-SQL procedures to trapp all errors and avoid useless SQL requests. We'll see next week if it's going to make any improvement about the behavior of our OWS 2.1.1.... But I keep in mind that the multiple wrb processes is an old problem for OWS (there was many bugs in version 2.0).

We also installed OWS 3.0 on a test machine but we haven't really tested it yet. That should come soon (I noticed that the wrb architecture seems to be very different for that version...).

If you hear about a solution for our common problem, I would appreciate that you let me know. (I'll tell you if I get the secret.)

sTEF