Re: Backup on Netware

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:42:03 GMT

Jim,

What version of the database are you using?

You are correct in your assumption that if the database is shutdown, there shouldn't be any other processes that have the database files opened (and hence, get a clean cold backup).

There was a bug in a previous release of Oracle7 that did not successfully close all database files even after a shutdown. Using monitor.nlm, you could still see file associations from the oracle72.nlm. The workaround for this was to unload the NLM's.

This defect was fixed in the Oracle7 7.3.2.3.0 release.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:46:48 -0500, Jim Anderson <anderson_at_ci.lincoln.ne.us> wrote:

>Someone in our department was told by Oracle support that on Netware you
>must not only shutdown the database but unload the NLM's in order to get
>a clean backup of a database. Anyone else have information on this? It
>doesn't make sense to me. If the database is shutdown, no writes to the
>db can occur so the backup should be clean.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Anderson

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri Apr 24 1998 - 07:42:03 CDT