Re: Appropriate use of MTS

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:08:58 -0700

Sorrybut I think that is a way to simplistic answer.

In general one would enable MTS if the reasons for performance problems were a lack of memory available on the server. By enabling MTS it can be possible to drasticlly reduce the memoery required to maintian connections to the server. This memory can then be applied to increasing various areas in the SGA (db-block buffers maybe :) ). This reallocation of memory can then result in dramatic performance improvements

If you do enable MTS remeber to increase the shared pool, I beleive the it needs about 300KB per cxonnection.

BTW: In my experience, if you are working with 7.2+ there is no noticable slowdown from just enabling MTS. Sure in theory there must be an overhead, it's just it is very small and users will not see the difference, this was not true on earlier releases.