Re: ORA-01118 error

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:53:55 GMT

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:30:38 -0400, "Italo Bozzi Feuereisen" <italo.bozzi_at_usa.net> wrote:

>Dear friends:
>
>We have the next problem. Yesterday I tried to create a new tablespace, the
>command was terminated with the next Oracle error:
>
> ORA-01118 cannot add any more datafiles: limit of 30 exceeded
>
>The Oracle Manuals recommend to recreate the database. Exist any
>possibility to not recreate the database?
>
>We have Oracle 7.3
>
>Thanks,

You don't have to recreate the database, only the controlfile, which is farly simple. Connect to database with Server Manager or SQL*Plus and isue the following command:

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE; Then look into your user_dump directory (initSID.ora parameter user_dump_dest). Find a file that was created with the above command. The file will have a generic trace file name, so you'll have to search by time of the file creation. Once you find it, open it with a text editor and remove all top lines up to the line that says "STARTUP NOMOUNT". Yust below it you'll file the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement and in it there is a MAXDATAFILES nn, where nn is the current limit of alloved datafiles. Correct this number as you wish an save the file (perhaps with the more meaningfull name). Edit also your initSID.ora (or eventualy configSID.ora) file and raise parameter "db_files" to the same value.

Then connect to the database with Server Manager as "internal", shutdown the database and run the trace file you edited previously , e.g. if you saved your file under the name "recreate_ctrl.sql"

SVRMGR> @/<user_dump_dest_path/recreate_ctrl.sql

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Apr 22 1998 - 11:53:55 CDT