Re: SQL*NET - is password encryption default or does it need to be enabled

From: <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 22 Apr 1998 07:52:34 -0400

wtm_at_xtra.co.nz (Warren Milne) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have found the oracle docs to be confusing and my search of deja news gave
> inconclusive results.
>
> For Oracle 7.3 series ( and all 7.x) are oracle passwords sent encrypted over
> sqlnet by DEFAULT ?

In Oracle 7.3 and up, database link passwords are encrypted by default. This feature was added in 7.1.6 (if I remember correctly).

> It appears to suggest that passwords are sent encrypted by default, and that
> only if either DBLINK or ORA_ENCRYPT are set to false does an unencrypted
> password get sent. However other oracle doc.s use terminology that suggest
> that password encryption must be configured first.
The variables were added to support backwards compatibility with Oracle V6 and Oracle7 7.0. Since these releases are not supported anymore, the variables are not needed.

--

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman