Re: Server cache for certain reference tables...

From: Dave O'Keeffe <DOKeeffe_at_n0spam.cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:18:58 +0100

Peter's suggestion is fine, but as a design issue, consider instead of having many reference tables with seeing if you can have only a few (ideally one!).

The situation usually is to have many tables which basically only have two columns CODE and NAME. You can join these into a single table with columns CODE, NAME, CODE_TYPE where CODE_TYPE indicates what would have been the table name. Since these tables typically have few values, they al fit into a few Oracle blocks. This is breaking at least one of Codd's rules, and I really don't know or care which, but is a practical approach I've seen used to good effect in several projects.

Dave O'Keeffe

--
For email replys remove "n0spam." from the above address Received on Tue Apr 21 1998 - 15:18:58 CDT