How to connect to different database in Oracle 7 ?

From: Robert Yang <NOSPAM_ryang_at_teleport.com_NOSPAM>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:14:56 GMT

Hi,

We are porting from MS SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle 7.3 and are quite confused, as you might expect, so please bear with me 8)

There is a concept in SQL Server of multiple databases on a given server which can
contain the same schema (tables, stored procedures, etc.). When connecting with
DB-Lib, the dbuse() API can be used to set the desired default database, so that
SQL commands like "Select Name from My_Table" can be executed.

However, I cannot see how to do this with OCI or even Embedded SQL. It would seem
that the database name must be specified for non-default databases, e.g. "Select Name from MyDatabase.MyTable".

Any insight would be appreciated !
--
Rob Yang
Sr. Software Engineer