7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6 -- can't open database

From: Chris Hagmann <chagmann_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:30:24 +0200

I encountered a messy problem with Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6:

I created a tablespace for testing. Somewhen a shellscript deleted the datafile belonging to this tablespace on the running database (on filesystem layer, not SQL). Since then I was not able to delete this tablespace or work with it. I always got I/O error when I tried to access this tablespace through SQL). Alright, was not that bad, but it even got worse. Somewhen I had to restart the database and since then I can't access the database anymore through sql. Every time I try to log into the database (sqlplus system/xxx_at_yyy) I get the following error:

Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

I waited for hours -- no change, always this error message (restarting didn't help either, but when I shut down the database I get the message that the DB was not open -- and during start up it complains about the missing datafile)

I'm not sure what I should think about that -- I'm sure that there is a way to log into this messy database and delete the trouble causing tablespace -- but who can tell me how?

Please also forward the response to my email -- thanx

"Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft?!"

Christian Hagmann              email: chagmann_at_bluewin.ch
dipl. El.-Ing. ETH             http://www.commercemaker.ch

--
Swisscom -- the blue window tel: +41 1 317 20 10 Applications Division fax: +41 1 317 20 11 Stadelhoferstr. 22
Postfach                       http://bluewindow.com

8032 Zurich