Re: massive delete

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:31:54 +0100

You might also want to check if the data blocks are being cached. Try downing and restarting the database to see if the timings become more consistent - they should. If they don't, it may be a factor outside the database.

Having said all that, why not look at partitioning the table to dramatically improve the delete (i.e. truncate partitions instead) performance (and pre-drop and post build indexes too). We've speeded some of our bulk delete/update runs by a factor of 20 times by doing this.

Just my two pennies.

Steve Phelan.